Gruden also kicked out of the Ring of Honor

Our beloved and bitched about NFL team that is the current NFL Super Bowl Champions!!!!
MadMac
Plank Owner, Moderator

Gruden also kicked out of the Ring of Honor

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have advocated for purposeful change in the areas of race relations, gender equality, diversity and inclusion for many years. While we acknowledge Jon Gruden’s contributions on the field, his actions go against our core values as an organization. Therefore, he will no longer continue to be a member of the Buccaneers Ring of Honor.”
His emails were despicable…yet I’m pretty much sure he made it to the ROH based on “his contributions on the field.” Just pointing out this glaring disconnect…definitely NOT defending what he emailed (in case some mental flatliners misunderstand my post here).
rook830
Plank Owner, Moderator

Re: Gruden also kicked out of the Ring of Honor

There is a latin term for this which was applied to Benedict Arnold who was the hero of the Battle of Saratoga (key battle of the Revolutionary War) but also betrayed the nation when he took a bribe in an attempt to turn West Point over to the British. In damnatio memoriae. Arnold's contributions to the Battle of Saratoga was limited to a boot (for the wound to his leg). His name is not mentioned anywhere on the monument as he was a traitor. Yet Arnold was our best military commander (likely better than George Washington) until he took the bribe from Major Andre and the British. Gruden's actions were terrible but they do not rise to the level of Benedict Arnold.

I believe Warren Sapp is in the Ring of Honor.. He belongs there for his football contributions to the Bucs and not because he is a great human being. He had sexual harassment and domestic battery charges. He was fired by the NFL Network. He also tried to fake a paternity test to avoid paying child support during our Super Bowl run in 2002. You would never put Sapp in the Ring of Honor for any other reason other than his football skill.
SundayTicket
Plank Owner

How long until the Bucs remove his statue from Super Bowl celebration montage that is on display at the stadium? Remove him from the record book too, maybe?
MadMac
Plank Owner, Moderator

SundayTicket wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:32 pm How long until the Bucs remove his statue from Super Bowl celebration montage that is on display at the stadium? Remove him from the record book too, maybe?
I'll take you a step further...how long before the Buccaneers organization vacates the Super Bowl victory from their history? In this crazy "woke" lunacy we are all suffering through at the moment, I am semi-serious...
Chas
Plank Owner

MadMac wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:35 pm I'll take you a step further...how long before the Buccaneers organization vacates the Super Bowl victory from their history? In this crazy "woke" lunacy we are all suffering through at the moment, I am semi-serious...
Are you saying that this 'woke' stuff is like McCarthyism?

I hear what you are saying about our country being overly PC but at the same time, our country appears to be growing much more confrontational in how we speak about one another. Gruden could have voiced opposition to things without using the terms he did. He attacked broad groups of people. He over-generalized. Unfortunately, for him, he is a very public persona and that makes his actions something that gets scrutinized. If people do not like him and decide to not support the Raiders that will cause the team to evaluate his continued employment. If his comments cause him to lose the locker room then the team would have no option but to let him go.

It is not 'woke' that is the issue. It is a growing lack of tolerance and respect for people who think differently. This is an issue on both sides of the aisle. As someone in the middle, I am constantly labeled the enemy by both sides.